Lapeer County Court House
The law firm of
Taylor, Butterfield, Howell, Churchill & Garner P.C.
was founded by the late Robert L.
Taylor. Bob Taylor began
practicing law in Lapeer upon his
graduation from the University of
Michigan Law School in 1937.
In addition to his general law
practice, Mr. Taylor was elected
Prosecuting Attorney of Lapeer
County in 1942 and 1944.
Unable to volunteer for service in
World War II due to his eyesight,
Bob Taylor volunteered to serve with
the United Nations Refugee Agency in
Europe from 1946 through 1951
where he helped deal with the humanitarian
crisis created by the millions of displaced
persons from the war.
Returning to Lapeer in 1951, Mr. Taylor
resumed his law practice and became one of
the prominent attorneys in Lapeer County.
Highlights of his law practice included
incorporating Champion Home Builders in the
early 1950's, representing Lapeer County
Bank & Trust and serving on its Board of
Directors, and undertaking the
representation of a large majority of the
townships within Lapeer County. Due to the
growth of his law practice, Bob Taylor began
taking in additional partners. Among the
attorneys joining the law firm were Michael
Carter in 1967, the late Tom Butterfield in
1968, Emory Clark in 1971, Gary Howell in
1974, Carl Riseman in 1975, Dave Churchill
in 1979 and Brian Garner in 2008. The law firm
built its current office building at 407
Clay Street in Lapeer in 1978. The law firm
has continued to represent Lapeer County
Bank & Trust, a significant majority of the
municipalities in Lapeer County, as well as
numerous individual and corporate clients.
In the more than three quarters of a century since Bob Taylor
began practicing law in Lapeer, the firm has
maintained a high standard of competence and
integrity. As always, the law firm continues
to zealously represent its clients in order
to accomplish their desired goals.